Font Size


Please use the contact form below to contact Families and SEN. Set out briefly the issues you want to discuss with your contact details and I will get back to you:

Under new GDPR regulations by ticking this box you agree to our Website Data Protection Policy
Bullet Point Issue 6 now available featuring topics such as development during pre-school years, visual impairment and other disabilities, click here to find out more.


Inequalities in power helps to spread inequality

Two of the books on offer via this site directly address most of these issues,



  • Q. ‘We have been told that the local authority now provides extra support through an EHC assessment and plan. What does this mean?’
  • A. I can advise about an Education, Health and Care assessment and plan, and specifically in relation to the level of support your daughter requires.
  • Q. ‘What kind of help do you think my son needs in school?’ Or ‘is my daughter getting the correct amount of support in school?’
  • A. I have the knowledge and experience to answer these questions in detail.
  • Q. ‘I have just been told our son requires extra support to meet his educational needs, what does this mean?’
  • A. I can not only answer this question in detail but also independently support you through the process of allocation.
  • Q. ‘I have just been told that our son is going to be assessed in school and we will have to see an Educational Psychologist.’
  • A. I can explain why this is happening and the role of an Educational Psychologist too. I can explain the Educational Psychologist’s findings and what effect these findings might have on your son’s education. And, I can also tell you about your rights in relation to the assessments carried out.
  • Q. ‘I have been asked to provide a parental contribution to our son’s assessment to meet his special educational needs but I’m unsure about what to include.’
  • A. I can advise you about your contribution along with giving independent advice throughout the process.
  • Q. ‘We are not happy about our son’s Statement of Special Educational Needs and the way it is being delivered. Can you help us?’
  • A. I can explain to you what his Statement says, how it is made up and what you can do if you disagree with any part. I can analyse the statement in an independent way and advise you regarding the provision contained within. I can also support you to address any changes you want made
  • Q. Q. ‘I have been told that my daughter is not eligible for extra educational support. What can we do?’
  • A. I can work with you to decide what the next step should be. This could mean ensuring that adequate support is put in place in the school by meeting with the school, local authority and local authority specialist teacher(s) and therapist(s) or, I can work with you and pull together a case for mediation or an appeal. I can represent you at the appeal and advise about an expert witness. Alternatively I can give you information about hiring a lawyer specialising in special education.
  • Q. ‘Is our son receiving all the educational support he needs?’
  • A. I can advise you about the support your son needs and then work with you to secure an appropriate level of support.
  • ‘Our son’s independence and mobility skills are virtually non-existent. What can we do?’
  • A. I can undertake a comprehensive assessment of your son’s independent living and mobility skills and then advise about the best way forward.
  • Q. ‘I’ve been told that my son needs an IEP what does this mean?’
  • A. I can explain to you about an Individual Education Plan (IEP), what it is for and advise about its content and monitoring procedure. If an IEP isn’t being used we can discuss the setting of quantifiable targets.
  • Q. ‘I’ve been told that my son is disrupting the class – could this be because of his disability?’
  • A. Yes, it could be as a result of his disability and the stress placed on him as a result. There could also be other factors too for example his learning support needs are not being met. I can work with you to unpick the situation and then advise accordingly.
  • Q. ‘Sometimes I feel that people are not listening to me about my concerns regarding my daughter’s education – what can I do?’
  • A. I can discuss with you the points you want to get across and then support in writing and at meetings to ensure that you are listened to with your concerns addressed.
  • Q. ‘I don’t think my son is progressing very well at school could this be due to his disabilities?’
  • A. Yes, a lack of progress can be as a result of his disabilities and the standard and amount of support provided. I can work with you to address this situation.
  • Q. ‘Will my child have to go to a special school?’
  • A. The role of a special school has changed over recent years and is now more likely to be about meeting the needs of a child with multi disabilities than a child with a single disability such as a visual impairment. I can work with you and explore placement options. Together we can visit schools and I can advise about suitability.
  • Q. ‘My child has a visual impairment and even though she is supposed to receive large print work sheets this doesn’t happen.’
  • A. I can work with you to ensure this happens in several ways. I can speak to all concerned and try addressing the situation this way. If your daughter has a statement we can remind the local authority about its duty to ensure your daughter’s needs are met or if your child doesn’t have a statement pursue the situation in other ways.
  • Q. ‘My daughter is being bullied in school what can I do?’
  • A. We can work together in order to address this situation.
  • Q. ‘I have to go to a meeting in school regarding the exclusion of my son. What do I need to do?’
  • A. Firstly you need to find out precisely why your son has been excluded and what has been done previously to prevent the behaviour leading to the exclusion. I can support you through this situation and ensure that correct procedures are followed to include reminding everyone that it is discriminatory to exclude as a result of a disability.
  • Q. ‘I am becoming stressed and concerned about my child’s education and the worry is making me ill.’
  • A. Whilst not being able to remove the stress completely I can support you in relation to your concerns about your daughter’s education and thereby help you take better control of the situation which might help you manage the level of stress better.
  • Q. ‘My child is isolated in school and has no friends.’
  • A. I can work with you to recommend strategies for the school to put in place and address the isolation.
  • Q. ‘I don’t know what’s happening in school. The specialist teacher visits but no one tells me about what’s going on.’
  • A. We can work together and address this practice.

There are many other concerns I constantly hear from parents and young people regarding the support allocated and lack of progress at school or college. Together we can address the situation.

If you feel isolated, in need of professional support and information see what Families and Special Educational Needs can offer.

Copyright 2022